Darasa (Green Banana Tamales)
These banana tamales are a traditional Garifuna snack.
Yield: serves 6
- 7 slightly green bananas, peeled and grated
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 6 (9"-square) banana leaves or parchment paper, for wrapping (available at Grocerythai.com)
- Stir together bananas, coconut milk, both juices, and salt and pepper in a bowl. Place a scant ¾ cup banana mixture in the center of each banana leaf. Fold the sides over filling, and then fold the open ends under to form 5" x 3" packets; set aside.
- Bring 2" water to a boil in an 8-qt. saucepan fitted with a steamer basket over medium-high heat. Place packets in steamer, stacking if necessary, and cover; cook until banana mixture is firm, about 20 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.