These oil-poached cloves can be pureed and added to mashed potatoes or to other sauces, and the garlic-infused oil works especially well in vinaigrettes.
- 1 1⁄2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 65 cloves garlic (about 1½ cups)
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat oven to 300°. Put ingredients into a 1-qt. pot, making sure garlic is submerged in oil. Cover pot; bake until garlic is golden brown and tender, about 1 hour. Let cool.
- Transfer mixture to a glass jar; cover surface of oil with plastic wrap. Cover jar and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.