These oil-poached cloves can be pureed and added to mashed potatoes or to other sauces, and the garlic-infused oil works especially well in vinaigrettes.
Yield: makes 2 Cups
- 1 <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>2</sub> cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>2</sub> tsp. kosher salt
- 65 cloves garlic (about 1½ cups)
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat oven to 300°. Put ingredients into a 1-qt. pot, making sure garlic is submerged in oil. Cover pot; bake until garlic is golden brown and tender, about 1 hour. Let cool.
- Transfer mixture to a glass jar; cover surface of oil with plastic wrap. Cover jar and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
MORE TO READ
Sweet Caraway Scones with Salted Butter and Figs
An unexpected trio of ingredients sings in harmony in this simple fruit pastry.
Roasted Heart of Palm with Romesco Sauce
Toasted almonds elevate the nuttiness of this delicate vegetable.