In Milwaukee, coleslaw is an essential component of the traditional Friday night fish fry.
Yield: makes 8 CUPS
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1⁄3 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1⁄2 tsp. celery seeds
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
FOR THE COLESLAW:
- 1⁄2 medium head of green cabbage, cored and finely sliced (about 7 cups)
- 1 small head of red cabbage, cored and finely sliced (about 1 1⁄2 cups)
- 1 small carrot, trimmed, peeled, and coarsely grated
- For the dressing: Put the vinegar, mustard, and celery seeds into a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Season with salt to taste. Add the sugar and whisk vigorously until dissolved. Pour the vegetable oil in a thin stream into the bowl while whisking constantly, until it is well combined with the other ingredients and a smooth dressing is formed. Season with salt to taste and set aside.
- For the coleslaw: Put the green and red cabbages and carrots into a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss well to combine. Store the coleslaw in the refrigerator until ready to use, up to 1 day. Serve chilled.