Gorditas de Huevos (Masa Cakes Stuffed With Eggs)
These savory gorditas, stuffed with chile-spiced scrambled eggs, make a great breakfast meal or afternoon snack.
Yield: serves 6
- 2 cups masa harina (available at Mexgrocer.com)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 dried New Mexico chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- In a medium bowl, stir together masa harina, salt, and 1 1⁄4 cups water until dough forms; let sit for 5 minutes. Divide into six 2″ balls (about 3 oz. each), then flatten with your hands into 1⁄4″-thick disks. Set aside.
- Heat chiles in a 10″ skillet over high heat and cook, turning, until lightly toasted, about 3 minutes; reduce heat to medium. Transfer chiles to a blender, add garlic and 1⁄2 cup water, and puree; return to skillet; add eggs and cook, stirring often, until cooked through, about 8 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat a 12″ cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add disks, season with salt, and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes. Immediately transfer to a work surface, cut horizontally halfway through disk, and stuff with scrambled egg mixture. Serve immediately.