Summer peaches pair remarkably well with sweet caramelized onions and crisp green beans in this salad from Deb Miller of Lawrence, Kansas. This recipe first appeared in our August/September 2013 Heartland issue with the story Salad Social.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lb. firm-ripe yellow peaches, sliced
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped oregano
- 2 tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 lb. green beans, trimmed
- Heat 3 tbsp. oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook until slightly caramelized, 7-10 minutes. Stir in peaches and oregano; cook until peaches are soft, 5-7 minutes. Whisk remaining oil with vinegar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl; add onion and peaches and set aside.
- Bring a 6-qt. saucepan of salted water to a boil; add beans and cook until crisp-tender, 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl of ice water until chilled. Drain and add to peach mixture; toss to combine.