Green Beans and Tomatoes
In so many green bean casseroles, the beans are cooked well past the point of mushy. SAVEUR editor-in-chief James Oseland lets his beans retain some snap in this recipe: the richness here comes from luscious, cooked-down tomatoes. This recipe was the cover photo for our November 2011 issue, where it ran with the story Superb Sides.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 10 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 4 whole tomatoes, fresh or canned, peeled and crushed
- 2 lb. green beans, trimmed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring, until broken down and soft. Add green beans and 1⁄2 cup water; cover pan with lid and cook, stirring occasionally, until beans are soft, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat; season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.