What You Will Need
Grilled Eggplant with Basil Vinaigrette
Sliced, grilled vegetables served in a simple marinade or vinaigrette are a fixture at many Tuscan meals.
Yield: serves 8
- 6 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. salt-packed capers, soaked and drained
- 20 basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- Kosher salt and freshly
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 large eggplants, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into ¼"-thick pieces
- In a blender, purée 4 tbsp. oil, vinegar, capers, basil, and garlic and season with salt and pepper; transfer vinaigrette to a small bowl and set aside.
- Put eggplants on a baking sheet, brush both sides with remaining oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to medium-high. (Alternatively, heat a cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat.) Cook eggplant, flipping once, until slightly soft and browned, about 6 minutes. Transfer eggplant to a platter and drizzle with vinaigrette.