Fresh or frozen blueberries make a fine substitute for tart and sweet huckleberries in this moist, crumbly cake.
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
- 6 tbsp. plus 1 3/4 cups flour, plus more for pan
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- 3⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 lb. huckleberries or blueberries
- Heat oven to 350˚. Butter and flour a 9″ springform cake pan; set aside. Make the topping: In a medium bowl, stir together 4 tbsp. butter, 6 tbsp. flour, 1⁄2 cup sugar, 1⁄4 tsp. salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg; set topping aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining flour and salt, along with baking powder; set flour mixture aside. In a large bowl, beat the remaining butter and sugar with a handheld mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add vanilla and egg and beat until smooth. Add the flour mixture and milk and mix for 1 minute. Add the huckleberries and, using a rubber spatula, fold them into the batter. Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with reserved topping. Bake until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 1 1⁄2 hours. Let cool before serving.