Kale and Avocado Salad
Elf in LA's Echo Park serves a version of this refreshing Japanese-inspired salad with a citrus–soy vinaigrette and crunchy hemp seeds.
Yield: serves 4-6
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, smashed and chopped into a paste
- 4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 avocados, halved, pitted, and peeled
- 2 tbsp. raw hemp seeds (optional)
- 1 bunch kale (about 3⁄4 lb.), stemmed and finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Whisk together juices, soy sauce, and garlic in a bowl. Slowly whisk in oil; set dressing aside.
- Cut 2 avocados into 1⁄2" cubes and thinly slice the remaining avocado. Put cubed avocados, half of the hemp seeds, and kale into a serving bowl. Toss kale mixture with dressing and season generously with salt and pepper. Divide salad between plates and garnish with sliced avocado and remaining hemp seeds.