This famous liver spread, enriched with schmaltz (rendered chicken fat), is a staple at Katz's Delicatessan, on New York City's Lower East Side. It's best served plain, as it is at Katz's, on rye bread. This recipe first appeared in our April 2011 special Sandwich Issue with the article Salad Days.
- 1 lb. beef livers, cleaned
- 1 lb. chicken livers, cleaned
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 6 tbsp. rendered chicken fat
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste