During a visit to the Iowa State Fair we sampled this juicy burger—the Iowa Sheep Industry Association's alternative to the classic hamburger.
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup minced mint leaves, plus whole mint leaves for garnish
- 1 1⁄2-2 lb. ground lamb
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 kaiser rolls or hamburger buns
- 4 large leaves boston lettuce
Stir together sugar, vinegar, and 2 tsp. hot water in a small bowl until sugar has dissolved. Add mint and set aside.
Divide lamb into 4 portions, and shape each into a thick patty. Lightly brush a grill pan with oil and place over medium heat. When pan is hot but not smoking, place patties on pan and cook for 3 minutes per side, for a medium-rare burger. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve burgers on rolls or buns, topped with mint sauce and garnished with lettuce and whole mint leaves.
Continue to Next Story