Warm Potato Salad
This tangy side dish, a variation on classic German potato salad.
Yield: serves 4-6
- 2 lb. medium waxy potatoes
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup vegetable stock, hot
- 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 bunch chives
- Put potatoes into a medium pot, cover with cold water by 2", add 2 generous pinches salt, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until soft when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often with a wooden spoon, until onions are soft, 6-8 minutes. Transfer onions and any fat in skillet to a medium bowl. Whisk in hot stock and vinegar, then the oil, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set dressing aside.
- Drain potatoes and set aside until just cool enough to handle but still warm. Peel potatoes, thinly slice, and put into a medium bowl. Add dressing to potatoes while they are still warm and gently toss until well combined. Adjust seasonings.
- Serve sprinkled with chives. Garnish with cherry tomatoes and parsley, if you like.