The oil in this simple preparation is used both to cook and to preserve sliced lemons.
Yield: makes 2 1/2 cups
- 2 lemons
- 1 1⁄2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. cracked coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. cracked fennel seeds
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- Halve lemons crosswise and squeeze their juice into a bowl; set juice aside.
- Thinly slice juiced lemons crosswise and transfer lemons, reserved juice, and remaining ingredients to a 1-qt. saucepan over high heat. Bring mixture to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat; let cool. Transfer lemon confit to a glass jar, cover, and refrigerate. Confit will keep, refrigerated, for 3 weeks.