As olive oil mingles with white wine and the sweet juices of clams in this classic pasta dish, it creates a fragrant sauce that coats the pasta. Be sure to undercook the pasta slightly so it can finish cooking in the sauce. We developed this recipe to accompany Nancy Harmon Jenkins's piece "The Essence of Olives" (May 2010).
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 lb. pasta, preferably linguine
- 1⁄3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4 oz. pancetta, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 Fresno or Holland chiles, stemmed and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 3⁄4 lb. littleneck clams (about 30), scrubbed clean
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 3 tbsp. roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Pairing Note Crisp Bisson Vermentino 2006 ($30) pairs beautifully with this dish's briny, spicy notes.
Continue to Next Story