Typically a sweet casserole, this version of noodle kugel is savory, flavored with garlic and onions. This recipe first appeared in our October 2011 issue along with Katie Robbins’s story Season of Rejoicing.
What You Will Need
- 1 1⁄2 cups (12 oz.) sour cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups (12 oz.) cottage cheese
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 8 oz. wide egg noodles
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large yellow onion, minced
- Heat oven to 350°. Whisk sour cream, cottage cheese, 6 tbsp. butter, and eggs in a bowl; set aside. Bring a 4-qt. pot of salted water to a boil; cook noodles until al dente. Drain; stir into cheese mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Heat remaining butter in a 12″ cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onions; cook, stirring, until lightly caramelized, about 8 minutes. Stir in noodles, and bake until browned, 35-40 minutes.