Lola Mae's Biscuits
These biscuits are simple, easy and delicious. The cast-iron pan adds great flavor and a certain down-home flare.
Yield: makes 12
- 3 cups unsifted self-rising flour
- 6 Tbsp. vegetable shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- Position oven rack in middle of oven, then preheat to 425°. Put flour into a large mixing bowl. Use a pastry cutter or two knives to work shortening into flour until it resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk; stir with a wooden spoon until mixture just holds together.
- Gather dough into a rough ball, then turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Dust hands with flour and gently knead dough 4-5 times. Roll dough out into a 12"-13" circle about 1⁄2" thick, dusting rolling pin and dough with just enough flour to keep dough from sticking. Cut out 12 biscuits with a cookie cutter or the rim of a juice glass and place in a well-seasoned 12" cast-iron skillet. Biscuits will fit snugly.
- Bake until just beginning to color, about 15 minutes, then switch oven to broil and bake until tops are lightly browned, 1-2 minutes longer.