Mămăligă Cu Smăntănă (Romanian Polenta with Sour Cream)
This polenta-like pudding, a staple across Romania, has a firm texture and a briny flavor from a salty, feta-like cheese mixed in at the end of cooking. A topping of more cheese and sour cream makes this a satisfying side dish. This recipe first appeared in our March 2012 issue with Alexander Lobrano’s article Eternal Terrain.
- 4 cups milk
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 2 cups quick-cooking cornmeal
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup finely crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- Bring milk and butter to a boil in a 4-qt. saucepan over high heat. Whisking constantly, add corn meal and salt and pepper, and cook until thickened and corn meal is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in half the feta, and then transfer to a greased 9″ pie dish; let cool until set, about 5 minutes. Top with remaining feta, and garnish with sour cream before serving.