Maple Squares with Walnuts
Serve these chewy dessert squares, known in Quebec as Carre Érable et Noix, in shallow bowls, with a pitcher of cream to be poured over the top.
Yield: serves 8-10
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed and chilled, plus more for pan
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp. flour, plus more for pan
- <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>4</sub> cup plus 2/3 cup maple sugar
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>4</sub> tsp. kosher salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Heat oven to 350°. Butter and flour an 8" square baking pan; set aside.
- In a food processor, process butter, 1 cup flour, and 1⁄4 cup maple sugar until combined; transfer to pan and press evenly into bottom. Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Whisk remaining flour and maple sugar with maple syrup, walnuts, salt, and eggs in a bowl; pour over baked crust. Bake until filling is golden brown and set, 30 to 35 minutes.
MORE TO READ
Don’t Fear the Dinner Party: Toasting Romy Gill’s Cookbook from Home
Recipes, tricks, and tips for hosting a Himalayan-inspired vegetarian feast.
Watermelon Gin Punch with Himalayan Salt
Elegant black tea and botanical flavors round out this pretty party punch.