Middle Eastern-Spiced Rice with Toasted Almonds
A simple side of rice is enlivened with an aromatic mix of warm spices and garnished with fried almonds.
Yield: serves 8-10
- 1 tbsp. whole black peppercorns
- 2 tsp. whole allspice
- 2 tsp. whole cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon, broken in half
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup whole blanched almonds
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3⁄4 cup roughly chopped parsley
- Heat peppercorns, allspice, cloves, and cinnamon in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium heat until fragrant, 1–2 minutes. Let cool slightly, then transfer to a spice grinder; grind into a powder and set aside. Add ¼ cup oil to pan; place over medium-high heat. Add almonds; cook until golden, 3–5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and season with salt. Add remaining oil to pan; return to medium-high heat. Add rice; cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly toasted, 5–7 minutes. Add spice mixture and 3½ cups water; boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, until rice is tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat; let sit 10 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork. Transfer to a platter; garnish with almonds and parsley.