(Moules a la Gueuze)
This recipe is adapted from one used by In de Rare Vos.
- 1 Tbsp. lard or butter
- 1 rib celery, julienned
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 lb. mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup gueuze or other unsweetened lambic beer
- 6 sprigs parsley, leaves chopped
Melt lard in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add celery,onions, thyme, and bay leaf and cook until soft, 5-8 minutes. Add 1 cup water and cook for 5 minutes. Add mussels, nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste, cover, and steam until mussel shells just begin to open, about 4 minutes. Add beer, cover, and continue steaming until shells completely open, about 4 minutes more (discard any that don't open).
Divide between 2-4 large bowls, discarding bay leaf and thyme, and garnish with parsley.
Continue to Next Story