Myanmar-Style Long Bean Salad (Pei Daunt Shay Thoke)
This recipe is based on one in Ma Thanegi's book _An Introduction to Myanmar Cuisine_.
Yield: serves 2-4
- 1⁄2 lb. long beans cut thinly lengthwise on the bias into 2" pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups peanut oil
- 2 shallots, very thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped roasted peanuts
- 4 1⁄2 tsp. fish sauce
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp. sugar
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add long beans, cook until crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Drain long beans; rinse under cold running water; set aside.
- Heat oil in a small pot over medium heat until temperature reaches 325° on a deep-fry thermometer. Add shallots and fry, stirring, until golden, 3-4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer shallots to a paper towel-lined plate. Reserve the frying oil.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the long beans, peanuts, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, and 1 tbsp. of the frying oil (reserve remaining oil for another use). Season the salad with salt to taste. Sprinkle shallots on top of the salad just before serving.