Niçoise Salad Quiche
A nod to the composed salad of southern France, this elegant quiche combines green beans, olives, potatoes, tuna, and buttery just-wilted lettuce.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more
- 1 medium Yukon gold potato, peeled and sliced 1/4" thick
- 7 green beans, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
- 1 head butter lettuce, trimmed and torn into 1" pieces
- 1 (3-oz.) can tuna packed in water; drained
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 eggs
- 1 anchovy filet
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 small shallot, peeled
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 plum tomato, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup pitted Niçoise olives
- Finely chopped parsley, for garnish
- Place flour, butter, and salt in a bowl; using your fingers, rub together until pea-size crumbles form. Add 5 tbsp. ice-cold water; stir until dough forms. Transfer to a lightly floured surface; knead dough until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Form into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour.
- Boil potatoes in a 2-qt. pot of salted water until tender, 6-8 minutes. Add green beans; cook 1 minute more. Using a slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to a bowl of ice water until cold; drain and place in a bowl. Add lettuce and tuna; set salad aside. Purée cream, milk, oil, mustard, eggs, anchovy, garlic, shallot, salt, and pepper until smooth; pour over salad and gently stir to combine. Refrigerate filling until ready to use.
- Roll dough into a 13" circle; transfer to a 10" springform pan with a removable bottom, pressing dough into bottom and sides. Place on a baking sheet; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375°. Prick dough with a fork; cover with parchment paper and fill with dried beans. Bake until slightly firm, about 20 minutes. Remove paper and beans; bake until crust is light brown, about 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 325°; spread filling evenly into crust. Arrange tomatoes and olives over top; bake until filling is set, about 20 minutes. Let quiche cool briefly and remove from pan; garnish with parsley.