Paprikás Libamáj (Paprika Foie Gras on Toast)
Eszter Bodrogi fries goose liver in paprika-spiced goose fat. Our adaptation of the dish calls for duck foie gras.
Yield: serves 8
- 1 duck foie gras (about 2 lbs.), lobes separated and trimmed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup rendered duck fat
- 1 tbsp. sweet paprika
- 8 slices country-style bread, toasted Coarse sea salt, for garnish
- Season foie gras with salt and pepper. Heat duck fat in an 8" skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add foie gras and cook, flipping once, until browned, about 6 minutes. Transfer foie gras to a medium bowl. Remove pan from heat and stir in paprika. Pour hot paprika mixture over liver and let sit until liver warms through, about 5 minutes. Transfer foie gras to a cut-ting board and slice lengthwise into 1⁄4"-thick slices. Put 2 slices of foie gras on each piece of toast and spoon some of the paprika mixture over top. Season with salt and pepper and serve warm.