A savory split-pea pudding like this one, studded with bacon and seasoned with a splash of Worcestershire sauce, is a classic accompaniment for roasted meats.
Yield: serves 4
- 1 lb. split green peas, soaked overnight and drained
- 4 oz. slab bacon, finely chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat bacon in a 6-qt. Dutch oven over medium heat, and cook, stirring occasionally, until its fat renders and is browned, about 8 minutes. Add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 8 minutes. Add peas and 5 ½ cups water. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered partially and stirring occasionally, until peas are tender, about 2 hours. Remove from heat and stir in butter and Worcestershire; season with salt and pepper.