This versatile sauce takes its fresh flavor from basil and its earthy bite from olive oil and garlic.
- 6 1⁄2 cups packed basil leaves
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan
- 6 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp. lightly toasted pine nuts
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Put basil, parmesan, 3 tbsp. oil, pine nuts, and garlic into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Season with salt and pepper and process, drizzling in remaining oil, to make a smooth paste.
- Transfer pesto to a bowl and serve, or cover surface with plastic wrap immediately and refrigerate for up to 2 days.