Whole pickled tomatoes are a perennial favorite in Russia—make a batch with summer's ripe tomatoes.
Yield: makes about 2 quarts
- 1 tsp. black peppercorns
- 6–8 small vine-ripened tomatoes
- 8 small jarred pepperoncini
- 4 small fresh bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh dill, stemmed
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- Combine peppercorns, tomatoes, pepperoncini, bay leaves, dill, and garlic in a 2-qt. glass jar with a tight-fitting lid. Bring vinegar, salt, sugar, and 1 1⁄4 cups water to a boil in a saucepan; stir until salt and sugar dissolve. Pour vinegar mixture over tomatoes.
- Seal jar; let cool. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.