Pimento Cheese Burger
Pimento cheese is a popular burger topping in and around Columbia, South Carolina. The cheese gives so much flavor to the burger that you won't need ketchup.
Yield: makes 4 Burgers
- 4 oz. grated sharp yellow cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. diced pimentos
- 1 tbsp. grated onion
- 1⁄2 tsp. worcestershire
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 lb. ground beef, formed into 4 medium-size patties
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
- Iceberg lettuce, for garnish
- 4 slices tomato, for garnish
- In a bowl, combine cheese, mayonnaise, pimentos, grated onion, and worcestershire; season with salt and pepper. Set pimento cheese aside.
- Season patties with salt and pepper. Prepare a medium-hot charcoal fire or heat a gas grill to medium-high (or heat a tablespoon of canola oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat). Grill burgers, flipping once, until cooked to desired doneness, about 10 minutes for medium rare. Spread 2 tbsp. pimento cheese over each burger; cover and let melt. Serve burgers on buns with lettuce and tomato.