The recipe for this quick and easy tart comes from the fifth edition of Joy of Cooking (Bobbs-Merrill, 1963).
What You Will Need
- 7 tbsp. chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2″ cubes, plus more for pan
- 1 cup flour, plus more for baking dish
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- 6 tbsp. milk
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 lb. Italian plums or other firm plums, pitted and cut into eighths
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 400°. Grease an 8″ x 8″ baking dish with butter and dust with flour; set aside.
- Whisk together flour, 2 tbsp. sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Add 4 tbsp. chilled butter and rub into flour mixture until pea-size pieces form. Mix together milk, vanilla, and egg in a small bowl; add to flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Transfer dough to prepared baking dish and spread over the bottom of dish; arrange plum slices in rows on top of dough. Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over plums. Melt remaining butter and drizzle over plums. Bake until browned and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Let cool slightly before slicing and serving.