Poached Shrimp and Sautéed Scallops
This Russian preparation is a delightful and simple dish of scallops and shrimp.
Yield: serves 4-6
- 1 tbsp. black peppercorns
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 dozen head-on, shell-on large shrimp
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 lb. bay scallops
- 2 sprigs of curly parsley and cilantro for garnish
- In a medium pot, combine 2½ qts. water, black peppercorns, garlic, and lemons. Season generously with salt. Bring water to a boil and lower heat to medium; simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Add shrimp; cook for 2-3 minutes. Drain.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallops; season with salt to taste. Cook until just cooked through, 2-3 minutes. Transfer scallops to a platter, arrange shrimp on top, and garnish with curly parsley and cilantro.