Polpette (Meat Croquettes)
Made with ground veal and potatoes, these are a classic Venetian cicheti.
Yield: makes 30
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 slices white sandwich bread
- 1 1⁄2 lb. ground veal or pork
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 2⁄3 cup finely chopped parsley
- 8 eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Canola oil, for frying
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- Pour milk over bread in a bowl; let soak for 10 minutes. Squeeze bread to drain milk; discard milk. Place bread in a bowl and mix with veal, potatoes, parsley, 4 eggs, garlic, and salt and pepper. Shape mixture into about thirty 1″ balls; place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, and chill. Pour oil to a depth of 2″ in a 6-qt. Dutch oven; heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350°. Place flour, remaining eggs, lightly beaten, and bread crumbs in three separate bowls. Working in batches, dredge each meatball in flour, coat in eggs, and coat in bread crumbs; fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels.