A brief rinse under cold water rids raw potato chips of excess starch that might otherwise cause them to stick together in the frying oil.
Yield: serves 2-4
- Canola or peanut oil, for frying
- 1 russet potato (about 12 oz.), cut crosswise on a mandoline or by hand into 1⁄16″-thick rounds
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Pour oil to a depth of 2″ into a 6-qt. heavy-bottomed dutch oven and heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 375°.
- Put potatoes into a strainer and rinse under cold water for 1 minute. Drain potatoes and transfer to paper towels; pat dry.
- Working in batches, fry potatoes, stirring constantly with a slotted spoon, until light golden brown and crisp, 1–2 minutes. Using the slotted spoon, transfer chips to a rack set over a rimmed baking sheet. Season with salt.