Raspberry Jam Sandwich Cookies (Spitzbuben)
Yield: makes about 3 dozen
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour, plus more for dusting
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup raspberry jam
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Heat oven to 325°. Beat butter and sugar with a hand mixer until fluffy. Add vanilla and egg; beat. Add flour and salt; mix. Transfer dough to a floured surface, form into a disk, roll until 1⁄4″ thick. Using a 2″ fluted round cutter, cut out cookies and transfer to parchment paper-lined baking sheets, spaced 2″ apart. Chill for 30 minutes. Using a 1 1⁄4″ plain round cutter, cut out centers of half the cookies; discard centers. Bake cookies until lightly browned, 10-12 minutes; cool.
- Dust cookie rings with confectioners’ sugar. Place 1 tsp. jam in center of each whole cookie; spread to within 1⁄3″ of edge. Top each with a cookie ring.