Strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries are brightened with lemon juice and zest to make the filling for this juicy pie from Drummond Ranch pie party contestant Sherri Hagenhoff. This recipe first appeared in our August/September 2013 Heartland issue with the story Big Pie Country.
- Flour, for dusting
- 1 recipe Buttery Pie Dough
- 10 oz. strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1⁄2 tsp. fresh lemon juice, plus 1 tbsp. grated zest
- 1⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 tbsp. water
- On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 disk of dough into a 12″ round. Fit into a 9″ pie plate. Trim edges, leaving 1″ dough overhanging edge of plate; chill 30 minutes.
- Simmer berries, sugar, cornstarch, juice, zest, and salt in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat until juices become a slightly thickened sauce, 18-20 minutes; let cool to room temperature.
- Heat oven to 400°. Pour berry mixture over dough. Roll remaining disk of dough into a 12″ round and place over top of pie. Pinch top and bottom edges together and fold under; using the tines of a fork, crimp edges. Brush with egg mixture and cut several 1″-long slits in top of pie. Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling, about 1 hour. Let cool completely before serving.