The Gonzalez family in Las Cruces, near El Paso, makes enchiladas similar to these using an old family recipe.
- 20 dried new mexico chiles
- 3 tbsp. canola oil, plus more for frying
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. sugar
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups grated mozzarella
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely crumbled cotija cheese
- 3 tbsp. crema or sour cream
Pairing Note Michael Flynn, the wine director at the Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek, in Dallas, recommends a dry rose for these enchiladas. The McPherson Cellars grenache-syrah Rose 2008 has a crisp acidity and a pronounced fruit flavor that complements the chile sauce's heat.