Roast Leg Of Veal
We learned how to make this dish in the kitchens of the dwindling Shaker community in Sabbathday Lake, Maine, where simplicity is a paramount virtue.
Yield: serves 8-12
- 2 tbsp. butter, softened
- 1 tsp. dried crushed rosemary
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (4–5-lb.) boneless leg of veal, tied
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and coarsely sliced
- Preheat oven to 300º. Mix butter, rosemary, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until well combined.
- Put veal, fattier side up, into a heavy roasting pan. Rub seasoned butter over meat and scatter onions on top. Roast veal until internal temperature reaches 140° for medium, 2–3 hours. Set roast aside to let rest for 20 minutes before removing twine and carving. Serve with pan juices.