Arugula Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash, Cranberries, and Candied Pecans
This sweet-tart winter salad is a simple way to add elegance to a weeknight dinner.
Yield: serves 4-6
- 1 1⁄2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 5 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- Sea salt
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup pecans
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. honey
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups arugula leaves
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl combine squash cubes, 1 tablespoon olive oil and sea salt to taste, mixing thoroughly to coat squash with oil. Transfer squash to a rimmed baking sheet and roast for 20-25 minutes, until soft. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once bubbling, stir in brown sugar, followed by pecans. Sauté pecans, stirring frequently, until coated with mixture, 7-10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Whisk vinegar, honey, remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper to taste in a small bowl. Assemble salad: Combine arugula, squash, pecans and cranberries in a large bowl, drizzle dressing over and gently toss.