Roasted Cranberry Sauce
This relish employs a novel technique: cranberries are roasted with orange peel, jalapeño, and spices until their skins burst, to concentrate their flavor and draw out their sweetness and juices; then they’re tossed with orange juice and port.
- 1 orange
- 1 lb. fresh or thawed frozen cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 green cardamom pods, smashed
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 1 small jalapeño, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. port
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Using a vegetable peeler, remove the zest from the orange, taking off as little of the white pith as possible. Cut the zest into very thin strips about 1½ inches long. Squeeze the juice from the orange; strain and set aside 1 tablespoon juice (reserve remaining juice for another use).
- In a bowl, toss together the orange zest, cranberries, sugar, oil, salt, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, and jalapeño. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Roast until the cranberries begin to burst and release their juices, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the cranberry mixture to a bowl; stir in the port and reserved orange juice. Set aside for at least 1 hour to let the flavors meld. Remove and discard the cardamom, cloves, and cinnamon before serving.