This simple whole-fish preparation highlights the sweetness of the trout's flesh. Tying the fish with kitchen twine keeps the aromatics inside the cavity and ensures that the flesh is evenly cooked. This recipe first appeared in our October 2011 issue, along with Hunter Lewis's article The Boys' Club.
- 1 whole (2-lb.) rainbow trout or red snapper, scaled, gutted, and cleaned
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 lemon, sliced into thin rounds
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice