Roasting cherry tomatoes in an oven brings out their natural sweetness; salty salami is a perfect counterpoint.
Yield: serves 2
- 6 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 oz. thinly sliced salami, cut into ¼” strips
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 oz. fresh mozzarella, torn into ½” pieces
- 6 basil leaves
- Heat oven to 375°. Mix tomatoes, ¼ cup oil, salt, and pepper on a rimmed baking sheet; bake, stirring occasionally, until slightly dry and caramelized, 12-15 minutes. Set tomatoes aside to cool.
- Heat remaining oil and salami in a 12″ nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer salami to paper towels to drain. Wipe out skillet and add butter; return skillet to medium heat. Whisk eggs, salt, and pepper in a bowl and add to skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, until large curds form, 3-4 minutes, then gently stir until eggs are almost set. Using a rubber spatula, pat eggs into an even layer. Add tomatoes, salami, cheese, and half the basil. Slide half the omelette onto a plate and using spatula, fold remaining omelet over the filling; garnish with remaining basil.