Sausage Gravy and Cheddar Biscuit Pot Pie
A traditional biscuits and gravy breakfast gets a flavor boost from cheddar cheese and chives.
Yield: serves 6-8
For the Gravy
- 12 oz. pork breakfast sausage
- ½ cups flour
- 3½ cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp. cayenne
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the Biscuits
- 3 cups flour, plus more for cutter
- 3½ tsp. baking powder
- 1½ tsp. kosher salt
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed and chilled, plus 2 tbsp. melted
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cups finely chopped chives, plus more for garnish
- Hot sauce, for serving (optional)
- MAKE THE GRAVY: Heat a 4-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat; add sausage and cook, breaking it into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add milk and cream, and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until gravy is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Add vinegar, cayenne, salt, and pepper; stir until combined and set aside.
- MAKE THE BISCUITS: Heat oven to 425°. Place flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl, and whisk to combine. Add butter, and using your fingers, rub mixture together until pea-size crumbles form. Add buttermilk, cheese, and chives, and stir with a fork until just combined. Transfer to a floured work surface, and gently pat dough into a 6" x 4" rectangle about 1" thick. Dip a 2" round cutter into a bowl of flour, and cut out rounds of dough. Press scraps together and repeat with remaining dough until you have about 15 rounds. Pour gravy into a 9" x 13" baking dish and place biscuits over the top. Brush biscuits with melted butter and bake until golden, 30-35 minutes. Turn oven to broil, sprinkle biscuits with remaining cheese, and broil until cheese is browned, 2-3 minutes. Garnish with chives and serve with hot sauce, if you like.