Sesame Oil Chicken (Ma You Ji)
Mild and faintly sweet, Chinese rice wine is the standard cooking liquid and sauce for this staple Taiwanese dish.
Yield: serves 4
- 1⁄3 cup black Asian sesame oil
- 4 (1⁄2") pieces ginger, peeled and smashed
- 1 (3–4 lb.) chicken, cut into 16 pieces
- 2 cups Chinese cooking wine, usually labeled michiu
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Cooked rice or cooked somen noodles, for serving
- Heat oil in 10" skillet or wok over high heat. Add ginger and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chicken and toss to coat with the oil; cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Using tongs, remove breast meat only from wok and transfer to a plate; set aside.
- Add wine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add reserved breast meat; cook 15 minutes more. Season with salt; transfer chicken and pan juices to a serving bowl; serve with rice or noodles.