Tortillitas de Camarones (Shrimp Fritters)
These crisp-edged fritters get their earthy flavor from chickpea flour. This recipe first appeared in our December 2012 issue along with Alexander Lobrano’s story My Spanish Sanctuary.
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 12 oz. raw medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chickpea flour (available from Nuts.com)
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. roughly chopped parsley
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. hot paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Heat 2 tbsp. of the oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 6 minutes. Transfer onions to a bowl, and add the shrimp, both flours, parsley, baking powder, paprika, salt, and 5 tbsp. water; stir to combine thoroughly. Set batter aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat remaining oil in skillet over medium-high heat, and working in batches, add 2 tbsp. batter, and cook, flipping once, until golden brown and crisp at the edges, about 3 minutes. Using a spatula, transfer to paper towels to drain; season with salt and pepper. Serve with lemon wedges.