The recipe for this comforting, aromatic soup is adapted from one by the chef Jose Andres. This recipe appeared in the iPad edition of our December 2012 issue along with Sushma Subramanian’s story Feed a Fever.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 10 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 6 oz. country bread, torn into 1/2″ pieces
- 1 tbsp. Spanish hot paprika
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped parsley, for garnish
- Heat oil in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium high heat; add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Add bread and paprika; cook stirring occasionally until bread is slightly toasted, 4-6 minutes. Add wine and cook until absorbed by the bread, about 2 minutes. Add stock and bring to a boil. Slowly add eggs while stirring constantly and cook for 1 minute more; season with salt and pepper and garnish with parsley.