The addition of Sichuan peppercorns, ginger, and red chile flakes adds complexity and polish to this versatile syrup. Drizzle it on pancakes, yogurt, and ice cream for an extra kick of flavor. This recipe comes to us from Karen Solomon, author of the forthcoming Asian Pickles (Ten Speed Press); Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It; and Can It, Bottle It, Smoke It..
- 1 1⁄2 lb. strawberries (about 3 pints), washed and hulled
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 (1/2-inch) slice fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 1⁄2 tsp. Sichuan peppercorns
TO MAKE A SHRUB:
Combine 3 oz. syrup with ½ oz. apple cider vinegar in a tall, ice-filled glass; top with sparkling water.
TO MAKE A SHANDY:
Pour 1-2 oz. syrup in a chilled glass and top with a pale lager-style beer; garnish with a lemon slice.
Continue to Next Story