This recipe is based on one in Glorious French Food by American author and culinary arts teacher James Peterson. Steak “au poivre” has been a popular bistro menu staple since the 19th century. A bright, young ruby port adds sweetness to the peppery sauce.
- Four 1-in.-thick strip steaks (about 2½ lb.)
- Kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1½ cups ruby port
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup brine-cured green peppercorns, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp. white wine vinegar
Break out the good wine. It’s time to cook the best French recipes.