SAVEUR kitchen director Liz Pearson gave us this recipe, her mother's version of a traditional breakfast casserole—it makes a lovely addition to a brunch menu.
- 1 tsp. butter
- 7 slices white sandwich bread cut into 1⁄2" cubes (about 5 cups)
- 1 lb. kielbasa, cut crosswise into 1⁄4"-thick slices
- 3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 medium green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cups mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. hot prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 freshly ground black pepper
- 1 10 3⁄4-oz. can cream of mushroom soup
Grease a 9"x13" baking dish with butter and set aside. Put bread cubes, sausage, cheese, celery, onions, and bell peppers into a large bowl and toss well. Transfer bread mixture to prepared baking dish, spreading in an even layer.
Whisk eggs, milk, mayonnaise, mustard, salt, and pepper together in a mixing bowl, then pour evenly over bread mixture. Spread soup completely over bread mixture with a rubber spatula. Cover dish and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 300°. Bake casserole, uncovered, until bubbling-hot and browned on top, about 1 hour 45 minutes. Let casserole rest for 20–30 minutes before serving.
Continue to Next Story