Mild-flavored olives work best in this rough-textured olive-and-anchovy sauce.
Yield: makes 1 Cup
- 3⁄4 cup pitted dry-cured black olives
- 1⁄4 cup salt-packed capers, soaked and drained
- 3 tbsp. sliced almonds
- 5 oil-packed anchovy filets, drained
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 8 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. fresh orange or lemon juice
- Combine the olives, capers, almonds, anchovies, garlic, and 2 tbsp. oil in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the ingredients are finely chopped. Transfer olive mixture to a small bowl and add the remaining oil and orange juice in a thin stream while whisking vigorously.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight to let the flavors meld. The tapenade will keep, refrigerated and covered, for up to 4 days.