Tavuk Kebabi (Mint & Aleppo Pepper Marinated Chicken Kebabs)
A thick, flavorful marinade of mint, Aleppo pepper, and Turkish sweet red pepper paste caramelizes on the outside of these grilled chicken kebabs. This recipe first appeared in our June/July 2013 issue along with Ansel Mullins’s article Keepers of the Flame.
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. dried mint
- 1 tbsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped thyme
- 1 tbsp. Aleppo pepper
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. Turkish sweet red pepper paste
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1″ pieces
- 6 (12″) metal skewers
- Mix oil, mint, chile flakes, thyme, Aleppo pepper, tomato paste, red pepper paste, black pepper, and salt in a bowl. Add chicken; toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap; let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes or refrigerate up to 2 hours.
- Heat a charcoal grill or set a gas grill to high; bank coals or turn off burner on one side. Remove chicken from marinade; thread onto skewers. Grill on hottest part of grill, turning as needed, until chicken is slightly charred and cooked through, 12–15 minutes. If the outside starts to burn before the chicken is fully cooked, move to the cooler side of the grill until done.