Tentsuyu (Tempura Dipping Sauce)
For this tempura dipping sauce, dashi is laced with soy sauce and mirin, and punctuated with fresh-grated daikon and ginger. This recipe first appeared in our December 2012 issue along with Kellie Evans’s story Big Dipper.
- 1⁄2 (2″×15″) piece kombu (available from Swanson Health Products)
- 2 tbsp. dried bonito flakes (available from Amazon.com)
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup mirin
- 1⁄4 cup peeled and finely grated daikon
- 1 tbsp. peeled and finely grated ginger
- Bring kombu and 1 1⁄2 cups water to a boil in a 2-qt. saucepan. Stir in bonito flakes, and remove from heat; let steep for 5 minutes. Pour through a fine strainer into a bowl, return to saucepan, and add soy sauce, mirin, daikon, and ginger; bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature before serving.