The legendary Texas cook Helen Corbitt invented this simple, delicious black-eyed pea salad in Austin in 1940.
- 2 (15-oz.) cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 serrano chile, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 red onion, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a bowl; season with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Serve on top of lettuce leaves.